February 20, 2015

Places and Spaces: Flat Stanley at National Harbor


Last month, our niece in Ohio sent us a Flat Stanley letter. If you're not familiar with Flat Stanley, he's a character from a children's book who gets flattened by a bulletin board and begins visiting his friends by being mailed in an envelope. It's a fun story that lots of schools use as part of a unit to learn about mail or US geography. Students usually mail Flat Stanley to friends and relatives asking them to take photos of him visiting a local landmark or the area around them. Being an educator, you know I love this kind of stuff. I convinced my husband to take an afternoon trip to National Harbor with Flat Stanley. When we got home, I wrote up a letter to the class and filled a box with treats that we got for them. I even made Stanley some monogrammed stationary. Here's the letter we sent...

Dear Mrs. Jones’ Class,  

I recently visited Hailey’s Uncle and Aunt who live in Maryland, close to Washington D.C. One of their favorite spots to visit in Maryland is the National Harbor. On our way there, we got a view of the Washington Monument. Have any of you ever been to the nation’s capital? I wasn’t able to go there during my trip, but I’m sending you a copy of my book that shares my adventures in D.C. from a while back. 

(we included Flat Stanley: The US Capital Commotion book in the box)


The coolest attraction at the National Harbor is the newly built Capital Wheel that soars over 180 feet above the Potomac River. I’m a little afraid of heights, so I didn’t go on the gigantic Ferris wheel, but I got a picture of it. 


The National Harbor has a marina with many boats. There is also a very cool (and slightly scary) sculpture of a giant coming out of the ground. Here I am posing with one of his big hands coming out of the ground, pretending it is going to get me! Ahhhhhhh! 


Whew! I’m glad I got away in time, because our next stop was a lot of fun! The National Harbor is also the home to many shops, restaurants, and hotels. My favorite shop to visit was probably the Peeps store. I wish I could drive this yellow car! I got some treats for you there that I hope you’ll enjoy!   

(of course we got the class peeps, which we filled the box with!) 
I sure had fun in Maryland, but am glad to be returning home safely. Thanks for letting me visit Hailey's Uncle and Aunt!  
Your Friend,  
Flat Stanley

Hope you enjoyed our little day trip! Has anyone else done the Flat Stanley project? It's quite fun!

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I have read one of the books and I want to do it someday myself!

    ReplyDelete