February 11, 2010

Something for Dad

Pals Paper Arts has a fun sketch this week (plus blog candy!):



My Dad's birthday is coming up, so I wanted to make a card for him. Here's my DEEsign:



But I couldn't have a "FORE U" card without a gift (and I couldn't trek out in the snow), so I made him this tag:


Card DEEtails:

1. My Dad is a golfer, so it made sense to use my Just Golf stamp set. I started off randomly stamping the golf ball image with VersaMark on an Old Olive card.

2. I used a little bit of a sheet of Windsor Knot Designer Series Paper for both the big mat and the scalloped edge.

3. I inked the F, R, and E in the FORE stamp and stamped them on a piece of Soft Suede card stock. I stamped the golf ball instead of the O just for kicks.

4. I stamped the golf club on some Old Olive card stock and cut it out. It worked out by coincidence that the golf club lined up with one of the golf balls in the background.

5. I found a brown U sticker in my stash (Lola Basic Mix alphabet from Love, Elsie) and stuck it on some Old Olive card stock, embellished with a square frame from my Hodgepodge Hardware set.

Tag DEEtails:

1. This was totally an experimental project, but I like the result! I really hope this holds up, however Dad decides to use it (I'm thinking it might be nice on his hand carry bag when he goes traveling). I started off with a chipboard F from my stash (I can't remember where I got these). Each piece is a 2 1/2" x 3" rectangle with a letter that pops out. You can use just the letter, just the silhouette, or in my case, the whole thing!

2. I used the Windsor Knot DSP from my card on the background and the reverse for the letter. I popped the F back in and also adhered the light blue paper on the back side of the tag. I also printed my Dad's address and phone number on a piece of Kraft card stock and adhered it to the back.

3. I punched a hole at the top of the rectangle, then I used a TON of VersaMark and clear embossing powder. First I did the edges to seal the paper and chipboard. I did each edge twice. Then I did the front and back sides, also twice for a thick, shiny coating. I paid careful attention to where the F was cut out and the edges of the address card stock on the back side to make sure they were sealed well. The bad thing is that the heat from embossing discolors the paper a bit, making it look darker and more dull, but I ended up liking the fact that it looked a bit distressed and more manly.

4. I took a piece of Whisper White card stock and embossed it with a polka dotted Texturz plate, then adhered the card stock upside down on a small round piece from my On Board Batch of Blooms chipboard set to look like the grooves on a golf ball. I used the same embossing technique on the golf ball, then adhered it to my tag, using Tombow Multi Purpose Adhesive. I really hope it stays on there!

5. I found a ball chain in my stash (I knew there was a reason why I kept these random pieces from clothing tags) and strung it through the hole. It was the perfect finishing touch. Hooray!

4 comments:

  1. This is too cute! I love how you framed the "U"! I love your embossed golf ball, too. Thanks for playing @ PPA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, Love this. I like the keychain. how ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect guy card! Love the added tag - so glad you play @PPA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina, what a clever gift idea! This is a perfect set for the golfer in your life.

    ReplyDelete