August 5, 2013

Crafts from the Past: Chalk Art

Several weeks ago, I mentioned that I had completed a few crafty projects around the home. I promised to share them, so here I am today with one of them...

Chalk board Art has been around for a while and I adore the look of it. Being an educator, I like to have tiny touches of school in my home. Unfortunately, chalk and I aren't fans of each other, so it hasn't been too easy for me to try it out. When Stampin' Up! came out with a Chalk Marker, I was quite thrilled. Although it's not REALLY chalk, (it's a permanent marker with a chalk-like look) I figured it would work for this project.

Ages ago, Hubby and I put up a gallery wall that I'll have to eventually show you. I haven't shown it yet because it's still not 100% finished. The completion of the chalk art project I'm showing you today brings us one step closer! :) It's in our foyer (if you can call it that), which is really a little corner with three doors (the front door, a closet door, and a door that leads to the bathroom) that opens up to our dining room. Centered above the closet door, I hung a pretty frame that I had picked up at Home Goods with a piece of chalkboard vinyl in it (also from Stampin' Up!). I finally got around to adding text on that piece of chalkboard vinyl. Here it is:



I've known what I wanted it to say for a while now... Our pup is a huge part of what makes this place a home, so I knew that little saying was perfect. It's simple really. I didn't go all fancy like some of those chalkboard art pieces out there. The Chalk Marker is thick, so it doesn't allow for a ton of detail. That's all right because I mostly just wanted it to have a saying since the frame is so pretty and ornate, not necessarily be chalk ART. Oops. Maybe I should have titled today's post "Framed Chalk Saying" instead. Plus, for my first attempt, I didn't want to go all crazy. At least not yet. I'm hoping to try out something a little more detailed in the future.

There are a ton of fabulous Chalk Art tutorials out there. Here are a few of my favorites that I've rounded up:

I'm leaning towards trying out the chalk pencil next time

She used to do displays for a living, so she knows what she's talking about

This one is great if you are't as inclined to freehand the writing

Be warned, there are over 300 pins... You'll be here for a while.

These fonts are also great for other print projects too!

That's it for now... I'll be back with some more craftiness soon! Have you attempted some chalk art? Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment